Know the Facts
These facts from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services may help you better understand organ, eye, and tissue donation:
- Anyone, regardless of age or medical history, can sign up to be a donor.
- One person can save up to eight lives by being an organ donor.
- Most major religions support organ donation and consider donation as the final act of love and generosity toward others.
- If you are sick or injured and admitted to a hospital, the number one priority is to save your life.
- Each day, about 79 people receive organ transplants. However, 18 people die each day waiting for transplant that can't take place because of the shortage of donated organs.